As I mentioned in my last show notes, I haven't been entirely happy with the results of my recent videos and had spent some time learning what I needed to know to move things forward. Part of what I learned was that I needed more light (okay, I already knew that) and how I could make that happen on the cheap.
I made a trip to Home Depot and picked up some 100w (equivalent) daylight fluorescent bulbs for my existing two lights. I also picked up a cheap clamp light (and another bulb) to add even more light. The results are pretty amazing. All of a sudden the camera isn't fighting to get a decent shot. I have more options in terms of settings for the aperture that don't involve seeing what the upper limits of the ISO are.
One of the other things that I discovered in my explorations of the basics of videography was that the settings that I use for sharpness, contrast, saturation and such for my still photos may not have been the best option for video. So I made some adjustments there as well. I think that the differences between this video and previous videos with this camera are pretty dramatic. I still have a ways to go before I'm completely happy, though. My focus could be better. I think I need to get something to stand in for my on the chair so that I can better set my focus point.
Oh, as to the subject of the video, I when I was out shopping for lighting equipment I found some super-cheap, stackable, organizer trays that work really well for holding tube acrylics. This gave me a good subject for a short video to immediately try out what I'd learned... and the stuff that I bought.